Thursday, March 22, 2012

Podcasting

I was introduced to podcasting a few years ago after I started college. I have seen it being used more often recently.  My church actually uses podcasting on the web which is very convenient. With podcasting I don't miss out on church service.  When I'm not able to attend I can go on our church website later and watch and listen to our pastor. Even during service they like to show a small podcast of the upcoming events. This could also be a great help in education. Taking a video of how to work a problem in math class could help many students on homework after they've left school. I could post different lessons that would be on tests so students could review for the tests. There have been times when I'd be stuck on a problem and just get tired of flipping through my math book trying to figure it out on my own. Podcasting could be a different way to do things and won't be as boring as flipping through pages. 

Podcasting is very similar to other Web 2.0 tools. It is more technology to learn about and use more often. It's very convenient. It keeps you from having to be at a certain place at a certain time. You can basically have access to these tools anytime, on your own time. Podcasting is similar to VoiceThread. They both involve using videos for information. The only thing is, with VoiceThread you can comment through voice.

Unfortunately I don't own and iPod or an MP3 player. I used to. When I did have one the only thing I used it for was to download music. I'd use it to listen to my music while working out or going out for a jog. I believe I could use it in the future though. I'd probably have to have some kind of tutorial to show me how to use the new technology but it could be to the students advantage if we put these to use. The only disadvantage would be having to show or learn these new online communication tools. Some people don't learn as fast as others. There would have to be plenty of time to learn about it. Some people simply don't like change and would rather not learn new ways to do things. It doesn't hurt to try. If it wasn't for online communication I wouldn't be able to take this online class, right?

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    I agree with you in that podcasting can really help out with education. Like you said if the students are at home and they are having trouble with their homework, they can use the podcast to help them with the homework. This is a good tool when they do not have a teacher around.

    Gilberto Arevalo

    ReplyDelete